Saturday, April 26, 2008

A Foreigner's perspective of Filipinos

I promised to give you my perspective of Filipinos. i.e, a perspective
from a non-Filipino. You want an outsiders' view on what we think
Filipinos are like, etc.

I also promised to give you my views today. I really wanted to give a
detailed perspective, thinking that my weekend (Friday) would be a
lazy one. It turned out to be a busy one. I had two business meetings,
and was also counselling some Indian expat professionals who wish to
consider career alternatives.

Notwithstanding the above, I will give you my brief views (and to keep
to my promise to give you my points of view, as always):

1. There is no doubt that Filipinos as a whole, from Tawi Tawi Islands
to Luzon, they are one of the most friendly people in the world (much
like Thais);

2. The friendliness of Filipinos are very genuine - in some countries,
they befriend you for a motive, mostly likely to be able to get some
economic benefits. This is my experience in many African countries;

3. Filipinos women are the backbone of Filipino society - be it
Christians or Muslims. The women take care of the family needs
unconditionally. I have seen them in the Philippines and overseas.

4. When Filipino families are together they do well, but once the
family (husband and wife) are apart, there seems to be a high
probability that the Filipino men would go astray. I have met many
hard working Filipino women working overseas as maids, nannies, and
even professionals (nurses in particular), and dutifully sending money
home to take care of the family needs, and if the husbands are in the
Philippines there is a high probability that their husbands have
girlfriends. This problem is more true and serious with urban Filipino
men.

5. Personally, I admire Filipino women for their mental strenghts and
care for the family - they are the ones keeping the pinoy culture and
love for family alive.

6. It is a good thing that most Filipinos are religious - this, I
believe, have allowed many Filipinos to remember their values and
responsibilities at home. The religious ones do well - at home or
overseas.

7. Comparatively, Filipinos are not as good as Indians, Pakistani, etc
with money. Filipinos seem to spend more money, preferring to enjoy
the good life more than others.This is more true in more liberal
countries, where there is freedom in drinking, gambling, women, etc. -
this could be seen in Dubai where there are many Filipino men in
undesirable bars. More Filipinos own cars, handphones, etc compared to
the other nationalities in overseas.

I hope the above will help in your writing an article. I would be
happy to discuss with you in detail. You can contact me through email,
chat or mobile.

Best wishes,

Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment