Thursday, October 15, 2009

The People in My Neighborhood


Dr. Sameer (Syrian tall guy) is my buddy dentist in the clinic. He is our medical director, very nice and helpful. He would advice me on all the Muslim ways I should follow. All others would be too shy to tell me upfront (what are these, coming up on my next blog).

Dr. Sabry is our Egyptian dermatologist. A very gentle, kind-hearted man, soft spoken. His looks doesn't match his character right? He's the father of the boy I was cuddling a blog before this.

These 2 gentlemen became my comfort buddies mainly because they spoke English. Our resident Lady dentist  and OB GYNE were both very helpful and kind but I'm just so sorry I wasn't fast enough to learn Arabic.


The pretty lady is Dr. Sameer's wife. I appreciate the time the whole family spent with me. The 3 kids so loveable and nice to their Auntie Mary.


      
This is Mirvat, our Egyptian receptionist. My translator, my savior. How in the world could she explain "tongue thrusting causing a class 2 malocclusion" is beyond me, but she did. 5 years married but still trying to have a child. Happy to share with you that finally, he has a son, Mohammed. We still keep in touch, broken english and all... but as they say, words don't matter. All we know is we still care what happens to each other in both our new worlds thousands of miles apart.

Our Sri Lankan driver, Nizmi (in white). My confidante in the clinic. I will forever be grateful for him for taking care of me in my queendom. The rule in the clinic was wherever I go, Nizmi should be following me...truly a queen....but between us, trust is the rule. I don't do anything to put him in trouble, or vice versa,
we're both happy.


Here is our joy in the clinic. Baby Masha. Her neame is Maria, daughter of my Syrian lady dentist. She calls me Auntie Mary and a day doesn't pass that I don't get a kiss from her. Pretty little girl, I miss her. She must be around 4 or 5 years old now.

I wish I could show you pictures of the very beautiful arab ladies close to me. But as Islam forbids pictures of women, I must just say that Arab women are "Miss Universe" material. They are very fashionable beneath those black dresses (I forget now what they're called) and head dress (tarha).

My boss is A very nice gentleman of Syrian descent- but now a Saudi National by virtue of his father being the dentist of the King. I heard he is only 1 of 2 transplant (liver and kidney) surgeons in the kingdom. Atleast  that's what I heard. He is also the only person able to convince me to have my father undergo Kidney transplant at 74 (http://chickensoupforthekidney.blogspot.com/ ). Thank God I listened to him, heaven-sent.

They say working in the Kingdom is scary. As I see it, just as how they see our own country as scary. But you have to experience it yourself  to find out.
I did.
It's not.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment