Tuesday, November 10, 2009

3. Correspond with your Employer

This is a series detailling the steps on how I dealt with a Job Offer from SAUDI ARABIA. I feel it would also apply on any job offers anywhere in the world.  

Important steps discussed previously was (click the link for reference):
1. Tell your family and important people around you and educate yourself about the country you intend to work in.  
2. Check out the POEA website.

The 3rd is to Correspond with your employer.

The recruitment agency would facilitate contacting the employer for you. Just say you would like a personal correspondence with the employer. Ask that he call you, or (for lesser cost) chat / talk through yahoo messenger, google gtalk or skype.

This way:

a. You can  directly ask your "1 million" questions. Best to store the conversation if it is a chat or if talk, try to write down important details you can look back to, just in case you need further clarifications later on.

b. You will personally hear the sincerity of your employer and viceversa. He will be able to find out, even interview you already and viceversa.

In this conversation be ready to ask and be asked.

My questions basically were:

1. Who is my employer?
You will be having a Saudi sponsor in your stay. You will be under his responsibility and he will pay for all your expenses: airfare, VISA. Your VISA will be in your passport.

Be sure your occupation is accurately written on your VISA.

My experience on this was my entry VISA had me written as a nurse for my occupation. This was told to me early on (best be informed) by my employer because he only had NURSE VISAS then. But still I was able to work as an orthodontist, was also able to take the Professional Licensure exam. Not really sure if my employer had to "pull some strings" so still best to have all information accurate and correct.
 

2. What is my work specifically?  (job description)

This will also be written down on your contract

3. How much is my salary?
(yes don't be shy to ask)

4. Where is the company / facility located?

This will help you gauge how far you are from the Philippine embassy (one is in Riyadh, the other in Jeddah)
I felt farely secure working within Riyadh, the capital city. Google map the exact location.

5. Are there Filipinos in your company?
If it would not be a bother, ask permission to contact a Pinoy employee and have a conversation with him about ....everything.

6. When do you expect  to arrive in the work place?
This is important to know because October to March are very cold months in the kingdom. Best to be ready with the right clothes for the cold season.

7. May I know my accomodation?
Home accomodations are usually provided for by the employer. Either it is near the company/facility or maybe even within the compound / building.

8. Practices I should know within the country and the workplace?

This was 1 question I forgot to ask, but here are some MUST KNOWS:

a. On arrival at the airport, your passport will be taken from you (this will be the last time you will see your passport until you need it again in your next vacation / flight home)
b. On arrival at the airport, be ready to line up and follow all the instructions. click  for more info.
b. All men and women are always segregated. Men go out only with men unless with married couples.
c. A man and a woman is discouraged to talk alone. Talk always in a group.
d. If you are of a different religion other then ISLAM, do not bring religious relics, novena, bible (all of your faith you may see in the internet)
e. Women should always be accompanied by a male guardian (husband, company guardian/driver) when going out
All the rest of their culture you can find out at the PDOS (Pre-Departure Overseas Seminar) you will be attending soon before you leave.

9. When is my vacation? For how long and who pays for my airfare and back?
Filipinos usually go home during the Christmas holidays (booking is soooo hard). Say your preference or some employers already tell you that you can only spend vacations during non-peak months of business. You must know this so you will be amenable to having vacations during summer months (Saudis usually spend vacations abroad from August to September) or if you wish on christmas, kindly request your employer for early booking to be sure to get home.    

I remember my first vacation, I got home just in the nick of time,  afternoon of December 25. I forgot to ask my employer to book early. By early I mean even a year before your vacation or 6 months before you intended vacation, at the latest.

Vacations are usually once a year for 1 month, all expenses paid by the employer. But some request twice a year for 2 weeks each. This depends on your employer.

10. Will I get my full salary on my vacation?

All vacations / one month  must be paid. You will get this upon your return to the kingdom.

I hope anyone reading this, who has more recent info and would want to help by sharing will do so by writing a comment below :-) 
 

6 comments:

  1. It takes a brave, courageous woman to work in a country of a totally different faith, and of a totally different custom when it comes to socializing with the opposite gender. Mabuhay ka, Anyang! BOW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take care and good luck.Keep on writing and let us know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks :-) will continue writing.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:36 AM

    I heагԁ firѕt hаnd
    from cuѕtomers that сould еntаil businеss additіonal
    coѕts for lаwsuіtѕ. Тhеy ωill prοvidе you with a trusted shгedding company both оptionѕ aгe greаt,
    it just mеans therе will bе аn omеn οf bad business luck.

    Sο, if you purсhase all of your iԁeas, you have to
    pay thеm. In a сonѕeгѵative office ѕandals or
    oрen-toed ѕhoеs ωill not be any real ԁifferenсe betωеen the maгκetіng ρlаn ωhich arе thought-filled and
    reѕeаrch-based. Rosе Μагіe Belforti, the town cleгk in Leԁyard,
    Ν.

    Takе a lοoκ аt my web site :
    : internet marketing seminars

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:26 PM

    Evаluatіοn of v2 cigs iѕ oftеn liked by the smokers despitе thе fact that there аre
    a lοt of e сig asseѕsmеnts of numеrous eleсtronic cіgaгettе brands.


    Here іs mу homepage; V2 Cigs Coupon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:50 PM

    fatty liver disease alcoholic fatty liver disease alcoholic fatty liver
    disease alcoholic

    Also visit my weblog: reversing fatty liver mayo clinic

    ReplyDelete