Tuesday, November 03, 2009

How I found work in Saudi Arabia

My surprise departure for the kingdom I wrote in a previous blog  (click blog)

I applied at yahoojobs  and posted my resume. My target country was the U.S. then and I knew back then that I would ONLY be hired as a dental assistant or hygienist even with my credentials as a dentist. I never did expect that a recruiter in Saudi Arabia was looking for an orthodontist.

A local recruitment agency called me one day, asking me if I wanted to go and work in  Saudi Arabia. Huh? Never in my mind was there a thought to consider the middle east. But I kept an open mind. The first things I did, in chronological order (each step discussed thoroughly on the next blogs):

1. I told my father and mother about it, and my significant other. 

2. I Checked out poea.gov.ph to see if the recruitment agency was licensed, meaning not suspended or license revoked or cancelled.

3.  Since the recruitment agency could not answer any of my "million" questions, they directed me to my
employer who was kind enough to correspond by email, skype, gtalk or he would call by phone.

4. He sent me a contract which I immediately showed to a lawyer friend of mine  to comment on. Then
correspondence between my employer and me continued until we were both satisfied.

5. Make the decision to whether take the offer or not.

6. If you decide on taking it, proceed to "recruitment" procedures. Start by renewing your passport if
    needed.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Melanie! I can so relate with the experiences you posted here in your blog about how you finally decided to try out kingdom life as ours was largely similar... never had we imagined that we would actually get to live here in Saudi Arabia.

    However, as you said, keeping an open mind and with a lot of prayers and good support systems both in Pinas and in the kingdom, it is actually possible to even "enjoy" this kingdom - notwithstanding its very conservative environment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Pinky :-)

    As in every new place, it is an adventure which we should all look forward to :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has yet to be the best blog i've read for pinoys considering a work in s.a :) I myself is considering one.. :) Now your thoughts here has made me learn alot! Thank you Melanie :)

    ReplyDelete