Monday, November 30, 2009

I will take the Job Offer In the Kingdom, What's next?

After following all the blog entries before this, it is time to go and embark on your new adventure.

First go to your recruitment agency and they will ask you go through a medical check up in an accredited hospital. Back in 2005, I spent around P2-3,000 for this. I had a 9- hour fast (stopped eating at 12 midnight and made sure I was in the hospital by 7 am to have a waiting allowance of 2 hours) for my blood tests, and brought with me my
1. sample feces in a clean small container
2. Urine sample I submitted while waiting for my turn in the hospital the next day

I waited for my medical report to come out before proceeding to the next steps below.

Here are the steps I did to prepare for my leaving the Philippines:

1. Prepare my passport
If your passport will expire in a year or 2, best to renew it while in the Philippines. Renewal fees in the kingdom through the embassy is more expensive. Have your passport picture taken, prior to appearance to the DFA. Be sure to wear a coat or any shirt with a collar. Personal appearance is required but you can make an appointment for yourself via the internet. Choose to have a machine-readable passport, although more expensive (P950 than the usual P750), this is what all passports will be eventually.   Follow the steps on Passport application or renewal here.

2. Prepare my birth certificate / marriage certificate
Best to apply for a NSO (National Statistics Office) certified birth certificate. They have serbilis centers you can actually go to or if you can't go, have a representative get it for you with an authorization letter and your ID (SSS, Driver's license or any valid ID). Or if you can't have it done by others or yourself, you can have it delivered. Just follow the steps here.

3. Prepare my school credentials

a. Go to my school registrar and ask for: 
1). Transcript of Records (atleast 2 copies or even more), certified true copy (both for undergraduate and post graduate courses)
2). . Ask for a Certificate of Graduation, and / or certified true copy of your Diploma (undergraduate and post graduate courses)

c. On acquiring my transcripts and diplomas,  I proceeded to the Commission on Higher education (CHED) where they  Certified, Authenticated, and Verified (CAV)  all my transcripts and diplomas. Follow the steps here. All other CHED services which you may need, here. CHED sitemap here.

4. Prepare my work experience credentials

a. Asked my superiors for certificate of employment stating my job, position and years / period of service.

b. This will be certified / notarized by the Regional Trial Court (RTC) in the Manila City Hall. I went to any Notary Public at the Manila City Hall and they  helped me process these documents. Fee is about p150 per document to be notarized.

5. When School and Work Experience credentials have been certified, I went to Malacanang to have it certified (AGAIN). I did this on commute because there are already public transportation that has a route from Malacanang to the Manila City Hall.  

6. After Malacanang certification, go to the Department of Foreign Affairs for "ribboning" or final certification.

7. I made sure I had a xerox copy of all my documents before submitting them to my recruitment agency. They then scheduled me for a PDOS (Pre-Departure Orientation Seminar). This is free.
Important things I learned from the PDOS:
a. Buy the small arabic book on how to speak arabic / learning arabic (around P150 back in 2005)
b. Get your PDOS certificate and open an account in Metrobank, BDO or BPI where you will open an OFW account and deposit P100 as maintaining balance. Be sure that when you open the account, you have with you a co-depositor here in the Philippines who can have access to your account and receive the remittances you will send (preferably family / relatives). Important to show your PDOS certificate as this will be your passport in opening the account.
c. get yourself an accident / life insurance if you still have extra money  

Going through the 7 steps it would be safe to prepare around P7 - 10,000 for all the fees that have to be paid.

Just a word of advice, plan each trip as early in the day as possible. Each step entails a long line, and a lot of waiting so best to start the day early...leave the house as early as 5:30 or 6 am.

No comments:

Post a Comment